Friday, April 15, 2011

mac and cheese

my kids love mac and cheese, as most kids do. i really don't like that is is so unhealthy for them. i don't know what at least half the ingredients are on the box which makes me think is even more unhealthy. but they will both eat it, so i make it.
happy kids = happy mama.
i do, however, make it a little bit healthier when i make it with a little tip i learned from the book deceptively delicious. jessica seinfeld makes her own homemade mac and cheese and adds the cauliflower in. literally my kids won't touch homemade. i've tried quite a few times. talk about p.i.c.k.y.
they have NO idea that they are eating cauliflower when i add in in. all i do is, cook the noodles, drain, and add 1/2 cup pureed cauliflower and the cheese pouch. (omit the milk and butter)
i keep little snack sized ziplock bags filled with 1/2 cup cauliflower in my freezer at all times. when i start to boil water for the macaroni, i simple place 1 frozen bag of cauliflower in a bowl of hot water in the sink. by the time the noodles are done, the bag is defrosted.

do you have any tricks to make your kids eat veggies??

5 comments:

Laura @ ON{thelaundry}LINE said...

NICE. I have pureed cauliflower in my freezer for the baby! Now I can be like a healthy food ninja!
Seriously, my 3.5 yr old hasn't been eating well all week, and then yesterday I made oven roasted chicken breast and steamed veggies... with KD as a side dish. And then she gobbled her KD down and asked for more, and I said "once you eat your two broccoli florets, your two chunks of baby corn, and your four pieces of chicken breast, you may have as much KD as you want." Just eating some of it and giving up would have been double what's she's eaten for supper every other day this week, but she mowed it all down and then another serving of KD !!! It's some serious love.
I'm very excited to put pureed cauliflower in it, especially as my hubby and daughter both dislike cauliflower but it's in my fav frozen veg mix at Costco... I can juts pick it out of the steamed veg, puree it, and freeze it!

The Harker Family said...

What a great idea Angie! My kids adore veggies, so I don't personally have any tricks, but I do have friend who put melted cheese on their kids veggies at dinner and their kids eat them. Or if it is raw veggies, try making a homemade dip for them to dip the veggies in. If you want your kids to eat raw veggies, the best thing is to buy certain veggies: the sweet mini carrotts (not small, but mini..it has a black label on the bag and it is called westinhouse I think??? Or english cucumbers. Or you can can get at Safway these little tomatoes called "Sweet snacking tomatoes" and they are delicious. Kids love them! I adore your idea of putting veggies in Kraft Dinner. My kids adore Kraft Dinner too...as do I, so I will try it! Ha! So I'm guilty of giving it to them too!

nap time journal said...

I add mashed carrots to my kids mac and cheese. Same color so they are hidden well. :)

Sew Much Ado said...

I dump everything I can think of into their smoothies, although I can't say that they always like their smoothies. I learned the hard way that peas are not conducive to a delicious smoothie. In fact, when I talked about making a smoothie this morning, Wyatt said "I hope it's not a disgusting one that I don't like". I try my best, that's all I can say :).

Ashley and Aaron said...

Love the cauliflower idea! And I am pretty much in love with the interior design you have done in your home! It is so hard for me to get motivated to do that kind of stuff, I am not good at it at all. I know what I like when I see it, but coming up with the idea is a different story. All your rooms look amazing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...